Marona Construction retains Pennoni to assist with the East Park Reservoir Project
The East Park Reservoir in Philadelphia, PA is a vital facility for the city, hosting the main water source for approximately 50 percent of the Philadelphia Water Department’s (PWD) customers with 60-million-gallons of drinking water. Recently, the PWD embarked on a major, multi-year project to replace the circa 1868 earthen basin reservoir with new 400-feet diameter, 30-million-gallon pre-stressed concrete water storage tanks allowing the PWD to continue supplying high quality drinking water to the City during normal and emergency water supply conditions.
The project also involves improving traffic safety along the surrounding roads and enhancing the exterior of the site by removing several of the old, unneeded structures along 33rd Street. This will provide an improved aesthetic to the neighboring community. Additionally, PWD will be moving the secured access road into the site away from the intersection of 33rd and Diamond Streets to improve traffic safety of PWD vehicles entering and exiting the site.
Other aspects of the project include the following general work items:
- Installation of new influent and effluent yard piping, utility infrastructure and supporting features for the new storage tanks.
- Construction of a new influent control building and associated vault and a metering building and associated vault.
- Modifications and additions to existing site access roadways.
- Demolition of an existing chlorine building and other minor site buildings and features.
- Construction of an infiltration basin and piping infrastructure and installation of a new electrical feed to the facility, demolition, and rehabilitation of existing facility electrical.
- Startup and testing of the new storage facilities and infrastructure.
- Site security upgrades, and landscaping, paving, and fencing.
Marona Construction Company of Colmar, PA, was responsible for the yard piping installation for these projects selected Pennoni to provide construction engineering and survey services for the project.
Our scope of work included the preparation of Phase one and Phase two yard piping profiles to facilitate construction and the preparation of pipe shop drawings as well as to identify potential conflicts. We also provided construction phase engineering support services relative to RFI’s, shop drawings, permitting, structural calculations, corrosion control analysis and design via our corrosion control subconsultant and the preparation of as-built plans.
We were also responsible for the survey stakeout of approximately 17,300 linear feet or 3.27 miles of yard piping for these projects that included; 8-inch gravity sanitary sewer, 24-inch reinforced concrete pipe gravity stormwater conduit, and 48-inch to 66-inch water main and/or overflow pipes.
The PWD East Park Reservoir Project is continuing with the ultimate goal of constructing five new 400-feet diameter, 30-million-gallon pre-stressed concrete water storage tanks. Phase 1 Construction of the project is planned for completion within the next year.
For more information on Pennoni’s services provided for this project, please contact:
Harry Laspee, PE
Associate Vice President
Glenn O. McAllister, PLS
Vice President, Chief Surveyor
Andrew T. Stathos, PE